What to Wear in Spring ’12 – Ties & Accessories

This entry was posted on February 17, 2012 under What's New. Written by:

Our in-house Tie and Accessory Buyer, Allison Faulkner, brings you up to speed on what’s new and fresh this season.

Jill Smith: What is your approach to assorting a new season of neckwear, in this case Spring?

Allison Faulkner: Generally, most of my fieldwork at the beginning of any season, starts with a trip to Italy. I know, a hard job but someone has to do it, right? I work with various tie vendors in Como assessing what’s trending in terms of pattern, color, fabric, everything, and leave with literally thousands of swatches. I bring those swatches home and work internally with our dress shirt buyer, matching back to seasonal dress shirts and tweaking color and pattern to perfectly fit our vision for the collection. The end result is ideally an assortment of both classic and contemporary choices that perfectly represent our customer’s need for timeless style, with a distinctive Paul Fredrick twist.

JS: So, that’s every season. Anything new on this trip?

AF: I took a little side trip to outside Naples and visited the factory where our 7 Fold ties are made. Actually, factory is not a terribly accurate descriptive. The “factory” is actually in the basement of the Malangone house. They employ about 20 people, many of whom are family and literally everything is done by hand with a little help from sewing machines. It is really very amazing that this type of craftsmanship lives on, and it makes one appreciate the old world art of making a tie.

JS: What are you excited about this season?

AF: Spring is always about fresh color. I love seafoam and lavender. Last year, melon was big and it continues to be a really strong, trending color. We paired it with white-on-white shirts and it is stunning, if I do say so myself. Blue and tan are always important and there is just something about satin. The elegant sheen adds such a level of sophistication to any dress shirt. In the end, a good tie always plays to the strengths of the shirt it is paired with.

JS: What’s going on in the accessory world? Shoes?

AF: The great thing about truly quality footwear is timelessness – the trick to not looking like everyone else is to add a little twist. For example, the penny loafer is a classic, but spice it up with basketweave texture and suddenly you’ve got something really unique. I brought back one of my favorites from last year, a canvas/leather mix which puts a sporty spin on classic wingtip style perfect for Spring. And, my favorite, which also happens to be a wingtip, blue suede with red laces. Definitely bold and fun, but still polished.

JS: My personal favorite, hats?
AF: I love them too. Hatscontinue to be big in men’s fashion. As temperatures warm up, genuine panamas and other natural straw options tend to be cool and comfortable choices for the dapper gentleman. Lite felt fedoras also work any season. And, of course, the sporty cap. On the golf course or on your way to work, it always puts a little spring in your step.

Want to read more about Spring 2012 men’s fashion trends? Go to Esquire’s Style Guide for Spring 2012.

, , , ,

7 Comments to “What to Wear in Spring ’12 – Ties & Accessories”

1. Daphne says:

Jill, i enjoyed what you had to say. I work in a fine Mens retail store. I have found that Paisley and Thinner Cloth Ties are coming back. I also have found that most of my clients enjoy getting “out of the box” with different colors and patterns.
    Thanks again,
    Daphne

2. LauraH says:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, Daphne! We appreciate hearing your feedback and are glad that you enjoyed this post!

3. Phillip says:

Seems like Paul Fredrick is always ahead of the curve! You have quite a few items that are multi-seasonal and are priced great! Since I’ve been wearing your clothes people think I’m buying tailored made clothes. The items you make are hundreds of dollars less than the designers at fashion week in Milan,NY etc. and look just as great!

4. Pat says:

I just received my promotional dress shirts and tie from an ad in a Southwest Airlines magazine… I also just ordered the seafoam floral motif tie and satin stripe sea foam windsor spread collared shirt…. :-)

5. Angela says:

That’s great to hear Phillip and Pat! Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

6. Joy Hicks Bridges says:

My son is a BIG bow tie wearer and wears them daily to work. I think working on Captiol Hill was his greatest influence. I think he owns one traditional silk tie. In the last two years I have become a fan of Paul Fredricks’ dapper styles and enjoy ordering gifts for my son. Your catalogues offer great models and fashion sense. However, I am a little disappointed there isn’t a great quantity of self-tie bow ties.You offer a tremendous amount of elegantly handsome traditional silk ties! Many times I wished a particular traditional was offered in the self-tie bow style!! What you do offer in self-tie bow ties are not only limited but not as strikingly elegant. Do you forsee retailing a better asortment of bow ties in the future? Truly, it would be great to see your traditional styles also offered in the classic bow tie style. A plus, you already have the matching pocket squares! :)

7. LauraH says:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, Joy!

At this time, I am not aware of any plans of expanding our bow tie collection. We do, however, try to introduce a few new selections at the beginning of each season. Your comments have been forwarded to our Merchandising Department and we will definitely take this into consideration when creating future bow tie collections.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know!