How to Care for and Store Your Dress Shirts

DressShirts

Thank you for choosing Paul Fredrick! We know you’re going to love your new purchase.

Always read the care and content label to determine how to care for your garment. This is especially important because your garment may have different care instructions than those detailed here.

In order to get the longest life from your Paul Fredrick garment, we recommend following these instructions, depending on the relevant material.

Laundering Your Dress Shirt

100% Cotton: In order to get the longest life from your Paul Fredrick shirt, we recommend washing it in cold water on the delicate cycle. Afterwards, tumble dry the shirt on the delicate cycle. When the shirt is slightly damp, remove it from the dryer and use a warm iron to remove wrinkles. If you prefer to launder or dry-clean your shirt, we recommend asking for very light starch.

100% Non-Iron Cotton: If your shirt is non-iron, do not dry clean it! Instead, machine wash the shirt warm with similar colors. When finished, to avoid wrinkles, tumble dry the shirt and remove promptly. To remove wrinkles from hanging, place the shirt in the dryer for 10 minutes, then remove promptly. The heat from the dryer releases the wrinkles in non-iron.

Hand washing is by far the gentlest way to care for your shirts and will prolong their life the longest. Use a high-quality detergent and wash them in the sink or bathtub in cold water. If you machine wash your dress shirts, remove the collar stays, since leaving them in can warp the collar’s shape. Separate your white dress shirts from your colors and wash in separate batches to reduce the chance of colors bleeding.

Troubleshooting

If you do get a spot on your dress shirt, take it to the dry cleaner immediately. Your dry cleaner should know which method to use to remove it, depending upon the cause of the stain.

Prevent sweat stains by wearing a t-shirt under your dress shirt. Choose a type of undershirt that covers the underarms, such as a crew-neck or v-neck t-shirt, not a tank top. An additional benefit here is that they present a better appearance under a sheer dress shirt.

If pilling occurs on your dress shirt, do not pull the pills. Instead, remove them with an electric razor, preferably one made for that purpose. Your dry cleaner may also be able to remove pilling. To minimize this effect, turn your dress shirt inside out before washing and do not overload the machine.

Storing Your Dress Shirt

When storing your dress shirts, you may choose to fold them, but keep in mind that this method will leave creases. The most popular method of storage is hanging your dress shirts. Hang them on proper wooden hangers for long-term storage, as thin wire hangers are bad for a shirt’s shape.

36 Comments

1. Richard M. Aztlan

September 12, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Being former Military and retiring from police service, I mistakenly would send ALL of my shirts to the cleaners and requested Heavy Starch. I learned something from this blog, unfortunately about 30 yrs too late. But better late than never.

2. The quality of your shirts and other products are out of series. Excellent is the best word to understand why you are one the first in this market.
    Only one suggestion: why don’t you add an small symbols in the pocket of the shirts in order to identify one very good article, one from Paul Fredrick.
    Regards

3. Thank you for the compliments, Miguel! We always strive to offer our customers the best in style, comfort, fit and value. In order to maintain those principles we continually reevaluate our offerings, and we will take this feedback into consideration for future collections.

4. I would agree with Miguel—the shirts would look great with a logo

5. Great shirts, but please, no logo. You want a logo, buy RL.

6. I would agree with Jerry no logo, if I want a logo I will have it monogrammed. I made my first purchase of Paul Fredrick and got a monogram on the sleeve. I am looking forward to receiving. I love your web site and the offers that come in, thank you.

7. Dear Sir:

I bought several shirts from your company many years ago and have found them to be of superior quality!

8. Thank you Gil! We are happy to hear that you are pleased with the shirts!

9. Hello Paul Fredrick, I ablsolutely love your shirts and have quite a few of them.
    I find when I wash the 100% cotton and iron them they still look very wrinkled after 10 minutes of wearing them. What I have done in the past is wash them as you suggest and then dunk thenk them in water with starch in it and hang them. Then we they are slighly still damp I iron them. This seems to keep the wrinkles away longer after wearing them. Any other suggestions?

10. We are happy to hear that you are pleased with our shirts, Richard!

Removing the dress shirts from the dryer and ironing with a warm iron while the shirts are still slightly damp, will achieve the best results. Starch will help to keep the shirts wrinkle free for a longer period of time; however, be careful not to use too much. Excessive starch will cause the cotton fibers to break down and will shorten the life expectancy of the shirt.

We do have a collection of non-iron dress shirts available, if you are interested. The non-iron dress shirts are made to be laundered at home and are ready to wear when removed promptly from the dryer. Please keep in mind that the non-iron dress shirts cannot be starched or dry cleaned.

11. Why are there no more 140 Egyptian Cotton Dress shirts? To me this was the best shirt you made.

12. We are happy to hear that you were pleased with the shirts, Joseph! Unfortunately, we have discontinued our Luxury 140’s dress shirts. We do, however, have Egyptian cotton dress shirts available, which can be viewed on our website by clicking here.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Your comments will certainly be forwarded on to our Merchandising Department for consideration while creating future dress shirt collections.

13. RODNEY THURMAN

May 9, 2016 at 2:21 am

Love your dress shirts, the only problem is shrinkage around the collars, any suggestions?

14. We are sorry to hear of the issue you have experienced with the dress shirts. Because our dress shirts are 100% cotton, we oversize them to allow for shrinkage. As a result, they should be a little large when they are first received. We recommend 2-3 launderings for the shirts to shrink to the proper size; however, you should notice quite a difference after the first laundering. If the dress shirts fit just right when they are first received, we suggest returning them to us (within 90 days from the date of purchase) for an exchange for the next size larger.

Please keep in mind that starching the shirts will also cause excessive shrinkage over time. The starch will build up in the collar causing the fibers to seize, making the collar feel smaller. If this is the case with your dress shirts, alleviating the issue is simple. Launder the shirts in warm water to remove all excess starch. After laundering, gently stretch the collar from both ends. The collar should return to its original size.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please feel free to call us at 1-800-247-1417. Any of our representatives will be happy to assist you.

15. Onofrio Vitullo

July 7, 2016 at 2:01 pm

I am a new customer and am very satisfied with your products quality, however being a person of smaller stature I find that the tails on my shirts are excessively long for me. Perhaps in the future you could develop a design that would address this problem, I am sure there are many (long tailed) customers who would benefit from this accommodation.

16. Allie

July 12, 2016 at 3:06 pm

Onofrio, we are so pleased to hear you are happy with your new purchases. We will certainly bring your suggestion to our merchandising team! You may wish to try our extra trim fit, which in addition to being 8″ narrower in the chest and 8″ narrower at the waist, has a 4″ shorter body than our regular fit.

17. I have had custom shirts for a while that are non-iron from other makers and I can say that I also get my clothes professionally laundered. Only cold washed and hand finished. No heat at all since that bakes in stains if there are any. Starch is evil! it destroys fabrics and will never be allowed on my shirts. The investment for cleaning my shirts by cold wash allows them to last much longer.

18. Allie

July 28, 2016 at 9:02 am

Thank you for sharing those tips, Eric! We agree that it’s generally better to forego starch.

19. Rev. Adam D. Pettiford

July 30, 2016 at 1:39 am

I love your shirts and have been wearing them for a few years now, but unfortunately I have put on weight around the spare tire area. I was wearing a 17 and went up to a 18.5 big and tall, but that area is still a bit small. I love your shirts and do not want to give them up what do you think is the best solution to my problem?

20. Allie

August 2, 2016 at 8:39 am

Rev. Adam D. Pettiford, we’re delighted to hear you’re a fan of our dress shirts! Going up a shirt size might solve your issue since you’ll get an additional 2″ of fabric in that area; however, you’ll also have to go up a collar size and a sleeve size, which might make the shirt too big overall. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience!

21. Hand wash……nada…..we are not in the 1940’s.

And, yes, I send my shirt to a commercial laundry, probably like most wearers of your shirts, so the shrinkage characteristics should reflect that reality.

And, please, no logo’s!!!!

22. Allie

August 17, 2016 at 8:25 am

At Paul Fredrick, we strive to provide our customers with the highest quality merchandise possible while still providing a great value. In that pursuit, we use natural fibers in our fabrics – while natural fibers may not always equate to easy care, they do provide a longer life span than man-made fibers, and are also more breathable, comfortable, and less susceptible to pilling.
    Our 100% cotton shirts will indeed shrink a very small amount, but we’ve modified our size specifications to allow for any shrinkage.
    In categories other than shirts where we offer other natural fibers such as wool, linen or silk, we often recommend hand washing or dry cleaning to maintain the look of the garment and maximize its life span. We have a few exceptions to our strictly natural fiber rule; one of these would be our nanotech microfiber pant. This washable pant is quite popular with many of our customers.
    Another option we offer in the easy care category is our non-iron dress shirts. We have an extensive collection of these 100% cotton shirts made with an industry-leading technology that keeps the garment wrinkle-free. This technology provides the comfort and durability of 100% cotton, while also providing carefree laundering.

23. I’ve been a PF customer for quite sometime now. I was looking for good quality dress shirts a few years ago, and I went online, and found PF. The quality of the shirts are unmatched. I’d bought other merchants shirts, but none can compare to the quality and style offered by PF – Absolutely Outstanding!
    All my shirts are still in excellent condition, no shrinkage or material quality loss. I just wash them and let air dry….No dryer Heat!!!
    PLEASE, NO LOGO’S!!!

24. Allie

August 23, 2016 at 8:12 am

Steve, thank you so much for that glowing review! We’re thrilled you found us as well! We use only the highest quality fabrics in our garments so that they look great, feel great, and last a long, long time. Please continue to wear and enjoy Paul Fredrick shirts!

25. Just received my first set of shirts and am very happy so far. Suggestion: the front shirt pockets are visual clutter, of little use to anyone anymore, and the shirts would look sharper without them – not to mention a slight decrease in production costs.

26. Allie

August 26, 2016 at 8:22 am

John, We’re so pleased to hear that you’re happy with your new shirts! Thank you for your feedback; we will certainly pass that on to our merchandising team. If you don’t want pockets on your shirt, you can certainly choose that option when creating a custom dress shirt, plus all of the Jermyn Street collar dress shirts from our seasonal collections come without pockets.

27. I have bought several of your shirts now and have had no problems therefore, no complains from me. I like the choice of color patterns offered as they compliment whatever I should be wearing perfectly!

28. Allie

November 21, 2016 at 3:12 pm

Jim, we are pleased to hear you’ve taken advantage of our wide variety of colors and patterns. Enjoy your shirts and please feel free to contact us if you have any questions!

29. As someone who does not like to buy clothing online, I took a chance with Paul Fredrick. I bought a shirt few years ago and was quite satisfied. Since then I have lost 35 lbs. and decided to go for it and get about 8 shirts – all slim. This is something I have not been able to fit into since before college (50 years ago), and I did this with some trepidation because I was not able to try one on first.
    They are all beautiful, different in their own way and, above all, fit perfectly. Since I am in Palm Beach FL and rarely wear long sleeve shirts, my wife said I wouldn’t live long enough to wear them all. So now I have to prove her wrong. My attitude is that I have at least 30 more years to go and I will be buying more Paul Fredrick shirts in the future. (I just hope that as a centenarian I’ll be able to get my arms over my head).
    P.S. Your shipping and customer service is also great – and I’m pretty picky.

30. Best dress shirts i have ever worn.

31. Dave McElhinnie

June 14, 2017 at 12:27 am

Please, no logo’s.

32. Bruce D. Collins

June 21, 2017 at 1:50 pm

After wearing my first Paul Fredrick shirt I have been replacing all of the dress shirts in my closet with PF shirts.

Excellent feel, comfort and wears like shirts that cost two or three times more.

33. Thomas C. Chatmon, Jr.

July 9, 2017 at 12:22 am

I am a long time PF customer who owns at least 40 of your shirts…just learning from this blog that I should not dry clean the no-iron shirts. My problem is that I’m not sure which ones are non-iron. Help!

34. Allie

July 10, 2017 at 10:53 am

Yes Thomas, that is correct! The chemicals used for dry cleaning break down the wrinkle-free solution of our non-iron shirts. You can tell which of your shirts is non-iron by looking at the lapel inside the shirt’s neck; it will either say cotton or non-iron cotton followed by the type of cotton fabrication (for example, 2-ply Cotton Pinpoint). We hope this helps!

35. Allie

July 10, 2017 at 11:02 am

Dave, you can be assured that we have no immediate plans to add a logo to our designs!

36. Allie

July 10, 2017 at 11:10 am

Bruce, we’re absolutely thrilled to hear you’re enjoying your new Paul Fredrick shirts! We hope you love our upcoming seasonal collections as well!