Apart from fit (more details on how to measure a shirt here), collar style is a major factor you must consider when choosing a dress shirt. One thing to take into account is your face shape – is it thin or broad, long or short? Certain collar styles will either emphasize or help to balance out those qualities, so choose wisely! Another aspect to think about is how casual or formal you intend to dress, and whether or not you’re going to wear a tie (plus, which tie knots will look best). Here’s a quick summary of the ‘rules’ you should follow when choosing your collar type. If you’d also like to learn in-depth and shop more collar types, check our shirt collar types guide
- Has wider collar points and is angled out
- Allows more room for a properly knotted tie
- Can make the wearers face appear wider
Classic, Sartorial, Formal
All business, the middle ground Windsor spread is a classic, A wider cutaway spread is trendy fare.
Variations: Park Avenue, Varsity, Windsor, English, Cutaway, Jermyn Street.
- Has a longer point and is angled down
- Perfect for medium to small tie knots
- Visual slimming effect on the face
Traditional, Versatile, Sensible
Very day all occasion wear. Considered the most traditional collar style available today.
Button Down Collar
- Buttons hold the collar down
- Historically casual, but works with a tie
- Good for framing any face shape
Academic, Relaxed, All-American
Less formal collar style. Great option for workdays or casual play dates.
Variations: Button Down Spread, Hidden Button
- Buttons or snaps to lay collar flat and prop tie
- Always worn with a tie, smaller knots are best
- Helps to hide a longer neck
Precise, Serious, Conservative
Work-oriented, great for serious business days when in need of a formal look.
Variations: Button Tab, Snap Tab
- Has rounded ends of short collar points
- Tied up with a smaller knot, it’s a dandy choice
- Works well with a narrower face
Old-School, British, Distinctive
Most popular collar style in the 1930’s, the club collar works well for semi-formal events or an elegant night out.